About a year ago, our fair school had a bit of a graphic design change. The classic interlocked "UH" logo was replaced with this... thing:
This mark reflects the "Uni" brand and serves as Uni's universal logo to be used on all publications. While the official name of the school is used formally, "Uni" serves as the brand identity. The mark's typeface is Adobe Garamond Pro, the University of Illinois' official typeface.For comparison, here is the previous logo:
This varsity mark represents Uni's athletic brand. The mark is
reserved for use on official apparel, team uniforms, athletic department
equipment, and athletic department publications.
This mark does not represent Uni's main brand identity.There are only two reasons I can think of for why this change was made by the advancement office.
- So that the nickname "Uni" could be formalized and made more recognized on official media, hence the repeated usage of the term "brand identity."
- To match official University logos and materials.
![]() |
| Bad. |
For example, look closely at the top-left corner of the 'n'. Garamond was designed to be used for text at small sizes. The serif pattern of the letters was not designed for viewing at the scales necessary for a logo.
This logo is soulless. It is far too simplistic.
In constructive terms, I doubt there was sufficient rationale to make this change in the first place. The quickest solution would be to revert to the UH immediately. If the logo must contain the name "Uni", even though "Uni High" sounds more down-to-earth, then the students and the Fine Arts department should be tapped for input on designing a logo that adheres to graphic design standards.
![]() |
| This space used to have the UH. |





I didn't realize that the logo had changed. I do agree that it is less creative, and looks kind of bland. In World Wide Web Class, we are designing a new logo for the new website, and this is a great post for my classmates to read before doing so! Although the current Uni logo certainly follows the simplicity design standard, it doesn't fit some of the other categories. Great analysis, great post Evan!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you liked the post. I'll be rejoining WWW in the spring, so I hope I can be contribute to the logo redesign!
DeleteI've heard many students complain about this logo, but I haven't heard anyone articulate a reason for their dismay. You present a compelling case against it. I found the logic of the statement "If I can open up my word processor and recreate your logo in five seconds, you have failed" especially persuasive.
ReplyDeleteThis is really interesting because we had just discussed typefaces and graphic design in art class. We watched the movie "Helvetica" which discussed how a logo should appeal to the reader not just in terms of its content, but also in terms of its design. I do agree with you that logos should not be bland and soulless.
ReplyDelete-Sherry
This is a really interesting post. In the past, I haven't given much thought to the logo, but you make some compelling points. I wasn't really a fan of the previous logo either, and I'd be interested in what you could come up with. Although I have not noticed the logo, I have noticed a similar problem in our apparel. Many are simply created in a word processor and just look unprofessional.
ReplyDelete